Seafood Vessel Operations INDUSTRY PRE-EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM
Seafood Vessel Operations (At Sea Processing) Level 2
Over the age of 18 and want a career in the NZ fishing industry and registered with Work and Income as a job seeker then inquire about our no fees program.
Currently working or not eligible for a no fees program then inquire about scholarships or self-funding for this program.
This program runs for up to 13 weeks with most students gaining employment around week 10 to 12.
We do not guarantee employment as some students do not make the grade and would not be suitable for the fishing industry but it you want it and are willing to work hard, study and remain drug and alcohol free then then you could one of the successful graduates that gain employment towards the end of the program.
The biggest requirement to be successful on our program is a good attitude and a willingness to work in a team environment.
The WDSFS runs a drug and alcohol free residential program and regular testing is a part of this culture. Failure to comply with school policy around testing may result in dismissal from the program.
A full breakdown of the school rules and expectations can be found in out student handbook below
Link to WDSFS student handbook
This is a great program and the WDSFS provides a residential program tailored for new entrants into the NZ fishing industry.
With starting wages of around 50K for new crew it’s a reward well worth working towards.
Shared room, breakfast and evening meal 7 days a week. $180.00 you need to provide your own lunches and funds for personal items
At the end of this program you’ll be able to:
• Show knowledge of workplace health and safety requirements
• Describe seafood spoilage factors and their controls
• Maintain personal hygiene and use hygienic work practices while working with seafood
• Describe and use safe work practices in the seafood industry
• Identify common parts, fittings and equipment on a vessel
• Show knowledge of abandon ship procedures and demonstrate sea survival techniques
• Prevent, extinguish and limit the spread of fire on a vessel
• Show knowledge of protection of the marine environment during seafood vessel operations
• Work on a commercial fishing vessel.
• Handle Seafood product
• You’ll need to pick at least one of the following topics to suit your job role:
• Clean and sanitise a seafood processing plant
• Safely handle and use a chemical in the seafood industry
• Maintain a safe work area while working with seafood products.
Seafood Vessel Operations(At Sea Processing) Level 2
Ready for an exciting and rewarding career?
0800 DEEP SEA
0800 333 7732
P.O.Box 287 – Westport